In times of a medical emergency, it’s vital to know how to react. This applies to humans as well as animals. Dogs can have allergic reactions, cardiac issues, get into poisonous materials and much more. Giving your furry friend a forever home means you’ll be expected to provide life long care — even in the event of an accident or emergency. Although animals may not be able to speak, they can still communicate. As the pet parent, it’s up to you to recognize the signs that your canine might need care.
Knowing how to respond during an emergency starts with knowing what causes one. Be aware of foods, substances and materials that can possibly be consumed by your dog. For example, chocolate, grapes, dairy, another pet’s food, some houseplants, lawn fertilizers, antifreeze and household cleaners are toxic to dogs.
Fortunately, there are some first-aid care tactics you can perform at home. If your hound is bleeding, elevate the wound and apply pressure with cloth until you can go to an animal hospital. If your dog is choking, you might be able to remove the blockage with your fingers. If the object cannot be removed, apply repeated, sharp pressure on the chest to hopefully dislodge the object. Antiseptic creams usually treat minor burns from hot water, oil, chemicals or ice.
For more specifics on how to treat allergic reactions, seizures, poisoning, cardiac issues, etc., check out our resource.
Dog Medical Emergency Guide created by Figo Pet Insurance.